Radschool Association Magazine - Vol 32

Page 2

Privacy Policy  |  Editorial Policy  |  Join the Association  |  List of Members  |  Contact us  |  Index  |  Links  |  Print this page





Kevin Leslie informs us that David Hesketh, a retired RAAF Radio Engineer, has passed away after a massive heart attack. He was 73 years of age and his funeral was held on Friday, 23 April at the Leura Gardens Crematorium, NSW




Kerry Harrington advises that Stan Woods passed away on Sunday 18th April in the Friendlies Hospital in Bundaberg (Qld).His funeral was held at the Bundaberg Crematorium and Memorial Park, Cummins Road, Bundaberg on Friday 23rd April 2010.




John Sambrooks advises:  John Adams, known to many as Jack, passed away on the 28 April 2010.


Jack left school and got his first job at the local garage as an apprentice motor mechanic. He joined the RAAF in 1947 and was posted to Amberley as an engine fitter. He had further postings to Malaysia, Darwin, Singleton and then Canada to learn all about the Caribou, returning to Amberley before heading off to Vietnam (July 1964 to March 1965) and then to Det A in Port Moresby.

 Jack Adams

Jack ended his career with the RAAF in 1969 and went to work with Jet Air at Eagle Farm and AGAB at Archerfield before obtaining a job with Bushies in Cairns. He finally retired in 1981.


Jack suffered his first heart attack in 1970 and after a few health issues in 1978 he had a triple bypasses.


Shortly afterwards, missing the warmth of North Queensland, Jack and his wife Beryl sold up and built a new home in Forest Beach, a coastal community, positioned between Townsville and Cairns, only 15 minutes from Ingham. Here he suffered another heart attack where he received a five bypass in the Townsville hospital.


After recovering from this, Jack and Beryl had a little windfall with the lotto and embraced the travel bug.  They travelled to Europe and met up with long distance relatives in Scotland and Beryl’s brother Colin in England.


Upon their return they moved south again and settled in Hervey Bay in 1994 to be within driving distance of their expanding family. Jack and Beryl celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 2008 and their 80th birthdays together with family in 2009.




Noel Hadfield advises that Ray Newbery died on Sunday 18 April as a result of suffering from cancer. His funeral was held in the Weeroona Chapel at Bunurong Memorial Park, (East of Melbourne) on Friday 23 April 2010 at 1.15 PM.

 John Beattie - at the Altona Hotel, 1967



We have only recently found out that an old course mate, John Ryan Beattie, (right) who was born in Scotland in 1935, died in 1984 at age 50, far too young. We first met him at Rookies in 1965 then went through Radschool with him on 62 RMC in 1966 and again on 41 RTC in 1967, and as he was a bit older than most of us, he was the unofficial “Father” of the course. From April 1970 to February 1971, he was a Cpl Radtech with No. 9 Squadron.


Anyone who ever met John would remember him, as we do, as a bloody great bloke.




The following email was sent to Sadie Linton by Patricia Hardwick on Friday 14th May 2010: “I have seen all of the photos on the "I served as a CISCON (Communication and Information Systems Controller) etc etc" site and wanted it made known that my husband Wayne Hardwick ex COMMSOP/CISCON had passed away in 2007 from cancer; he was 57. He worked at Tindal, Richmond, Townsville and Sale. He left the RAAF in 2000. Wayne had attempted to contact some of the people he worked with but time caught up with him before he had a chance to do so. If you knew Wayne, Patricia would probably enjoy an email from you. Unfortunately, no email address was given to me but she can be contacted through Face Book under Patricia Hardwick.




Jim Noble advises: “It is with regret that I advise that the Canberra Times of 27 May carried a death Notice for Peter Raymond Maxwell Backhouse Wng/Cdr (Ret). He passed away peacefully on the 25 May 2010, aged 83 years. A funeral service was held at Ulladulla on Sat 29 May 2010 followed by a private cremation. No further details to hand”.




Keith Harrington advises us that Keith Barry passed away at Tweed Heads Hospital on Friday 21 May 2010. His funeral was held at the Pinnaroo Chapel, Bridgman Downs (just north of Brisbane) on Wednesday 26 May 2010.




John Richards advises:  Ray “Asho” Ashton passed away recently in the Blue Mountains. Ray was well known to those who went through OPCOM over the years. He also served with 2SQN from 1969 to 1970 and was a life member with the Blue Mountains Vietnam Veterans and Associated Forces Inc.


John says; "Cathy and myself visited him at the Nepean Hospital and he told us all he wanted to do was to die in the mountains. As we were leaving, they transferred him to Springwood Hospital. He passed away only minutes after his arrival. He got his last wish."


He was buried on the 7th December, 2009 at Leura (Blue Mountains) Memorial Gardens.




Peter Duncan wrote:  I have just noticed in the latest Queensland RSL News (June 2010) the passing of Alec Robertson. He introduced himself as Smithy (he hated the name Alec) when we first met at the old South Brisbane Interstate Railway Station on our way to Laverton as brand new members of 17 Radio Apprentice intake in Jan 1963. Smithy was in the next room to me for 2 years at Appyland and was a good friend. He was also known as "Mang" Robertson and was an accomplished guitarist. He did not complete the Radio Apprenticeship and was remustered to Elec Fitter in 1965. I lost track of him some years ago. I recognised the entry in the magazine as his service number was 4 on from mine. (mine A110494 and he was A110498)




We received the following from Sue Blundell (nee Waghorn) who says:  "In Volume 20, page 15, Frank Alley wrote that my father, Bruce Waghorn, (yes he was a Sgt then) clean bowled him in a cricket match. I’m letting you know that dad passed away on Sunday the 6th June, 2010 in Perth at the age of 79 from prostate cancer. He had played cricket with the RAAF for as long back as I can remember and umpired many a game of Rugby Union at Altona, Williamtown, Laverton and others. He touched a lot of lives in his career and will be missed. Dad’s funeral was held at Pinnaroo Valley Memorial Park, Western Australia on Monday the 14th of June".




Kev Rosser advises that Brian Levick passed away on the 13th of July. Kev thinks Brian either slipped or fainted and hit his head causing a fatal head wound. He died at home and unfortunately was not found for some days. He was cremated on Wednesday 21 July and his ashes brought to WA where all the family are now.




Jim Noble advises that Ray Gant, ex Eng Radio, died on Monday 26 July.  He was 90 years old. His funeral was held on Friday 30 July in Belconnen ACT.




Dave Bell wrote, “David ‘Dave’ Murray, who was on 12 RMT, passed away from pneumonia, in hospital, after a short illness. Dave did 20 years as a radtech and worked on Hercs, 707's and in Matra at Butterworth where many gunnies will have met him. After his discharge, he worked with me at Newcastle Uni for nearly 20 years until he retired about 7years ago. His wife Lyn is also in hospital with pneumonia but is recovering.


Dave was buried in a private ceremony on Friday 18 June 2010.




Back     Go to page:  1  2 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20     Forward